It defines two main functional levels in Ranet Analytics (two categories of services: Runtime and Design Time) and by taking into account this fact two main categories of users are specificated:
Administrators and developers are users that can design, develop and edit the entities, which are necessary for creation of dashboards and develop dashboards properly as well as administer users’ access permissions to them.
Business-users are specialists, business-analysts, managers and senior managers that can get information which is necessary for decision making, analyzing dashboards created in the system. The rights in the system have limits.
As one can see these two categories of users have different requirements to the level of professionalism and skills, their role in business-processes of the organization. Ranet Analytics supports the role conception of security that allows administrating users flexibly according to their roles in business-processes of the system.
The category of business-users is key and the most numerous one. As a rule BI-systems includes a gigantic quantity of information and cover several control and management levels. It needs specific information on every management level. One can specificate the following groups of users in any organization using BI-system:
- Directors and senior managers. Their responsibilities include key decision making but they do not have time to examine dozens of complicated graphs and reports. They need simple and visual reports in which collected key indicators and performance indexes of the organization activity which enable to see main problem issues and important forecasts for the future.
- Specialists are users influencing decision making (financial experts, economists, department managers and etc.). They need dashboards and reports with more detailed data as well as possibilities of interactive analysis (filtration and specification of data, transitions between aggregating and specificating reports and etc.). So the system must include all necessary indicator maps and reports of which the specialists can get necessary data for meeting the needs.
- Analysts are users searching for remedies and able to provide maximum investment pay back thereby seriously influencing business. They need data analysis tools to get to the root of the matter, find out tendencies and regularities and etc.
The group division is conditional; users’ needs of different categories can meet. However, a good indicator map or a report orienting on a user’s needs of a concrete category allow him to concentrate on the main thing only and save dozens of minutes if not hours of work time. It is important to take into account this point developing of dashboards.
The role security conception is realized in the system. It enables to flexibly customize users’ access to the entities and services of the system and simplify its administration. Access permissions for users’ roles to the objects of certain types or specific visual elements on the dashboard can be customized in the system.
The developed dashboards can be logically combined in automated workstations (AWS) for concrete user groups taking into account their responsibilities. Use of AWS allows a user to adapt to work in the system faster, take into account the level of his competence and specification of fulfilled functions. The users’ roles can be defined for AWS. Automated forming a user’s AWS is realized in the process of his authentication in the system.
Ranet Analytics works with domain or local accounts and user groups that are specified in the corporate network or on that computer where it is opened. Data security can be set for these accounts and groups. These settings can be derived in accessing to data from Ranet Analytics application and the user gets access to that data only which are defined for him by the system administrator. For example, you can distinguish access permissions to concrete guide elements or concrete cube cells and these settings will be taken into account in the application.
The history of query execution (date and time, user, memory) and protocoling of completed activities are kept in the system. It enables to resolve business-users problems more effectively and keep development.
The main administration capabilities
- User authentication in the system;
- Management of users and system roles;
- Differentiation of access permissions to the objects of the certain type within the application (dashboards, connections, etc.);
- Automated workstation management (AWS);
- Integrated application security with data security settings;
- An activity log.