When developing business-applications, it might be useful to allow the user to use a number of active auxiliary Views concurrently. For example, when working with a list of orders, it might be necessary to have access to the following auxiliary data: detailed customer information, the list of components of the order.
Another example, when working with an employee's card form, one might need access to the list of orders managed by the employee.
Business platform Xafari includes a component allowing to display an auxiliary List View or Detail View in freely positioned containers, or Dock Panels. The user can move Dock Panels arbitrarily, dock them to various areas of the parent window, or hide them temporarily, thus adjusting the interface to suit his personal requirements.
Component Xafari.DockPanels allows configuring of the following commonly used options:
- Assign the Dock Panel to a business object.
- Assign the Dock Panel to an individual View.
- Assign the Dock Panel to the main window.
In addition to that, the Dock Panel functionality can be extended, and the user can create his own solutions based on Dock Panels. Some Xafari functions, such as group edit and categories, are implemented by means of Dock Panels.
The data displayed in the panel can be linked to the data in the parent window in various ways:
- Panel data are not linked to the parent window data.
- The current View object of the panel is used as a filter for the parent window View.
- The current View object of the parent window is used as a filter for the panel View.
The following video clips demonstrate three Dock Panels in application Xafari Northwind:
- The panel displaying ManagedOperationStorage_ListView is assigned to the main window.
- The panel displaying Employee_Gadget is assigned to business object Order.
- The panel displaying Customer_ListView is assigned to Order_ListView.
Read more about Xafari Dock Panels concept in this blog post.